Sunday, December 5, 2010

I'm An Adult!


HOLY CRAP, I'M EMPLOYED!

 Well, the planets have aligned, the moon is in the correct house, the heavens have smiled upon me and I have achieved the sign of ultimate adulthood- a job. A real life, grownup job, and it doesn’t involve waiting tables, serving coffee or flipping burgers.

I’ve just been hired to teach 7th grade English/Language Arts. For those of you that know me, you know that I’ve just completed my masters in Theater Education. However, there’s a shortage of teachers at our middle school, so it was either “take the job not quite on your subject area” or “keep eating Ramen noodles out of a hot pot for dinner”. Ergo, I will be starting work next week, and I thought I’d keep this blog for a while to document my progress.  According to my class roster, I have 22 students of a variety of ethnicities- 14 girls and 8 boys.

One of the reasons why I really like middle school age is because it’s very much a transition stage in life- hormones, body changes, insecurities, friend drama etc. I think those things create a lot for a teacher to work with, and hopefully provide the chance for some rich discussion in the classroom. I’m also hoping I can use my theater background to create some interesting lesson plans. I’ve never really been one for worksheets, anyway.

My curriculum says that I have to do a unit on this book titled The Cat Ate My Gymsuit by Paula Danzinger. Since I have no idea what it’s about, I’m off to the library to read it. More later!


2 comments:

  1. NOTE: This is a fictional blog. I'm doing this for a project at school, so while I appreciate all the well wishes, I haven't actually been hired anywhere...yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I am so happy to read that this is fictonal... I mean this is all great stuff and I hope it all works out this way (except that there is a shortage of teachers and you end up teaching English), but I would have been SO sad if you didn't tell me what was going on!!! :P MISS YOU! -Gilly

    ReplyDelete